Provisional Exhibit for the Springs Museum
Photos 1930s, 1960s, 2008, video from films by Josh Binney, 1924.
Main Stem Collage #41A refashioned into a diorama. The location that the panorama deals with is the intersection of Hwy 12 and Depot Road. The Fetters depot building, seen in the film and extant in 2014, is located at the end of this very short street. What we know as El Brinquito in 2014 was, at various times, Mike’s Market and Tripp’s. The building across Depot Road from the market may have been the site of the Valley of the Moon Cleaning Plant (1960s). The video shows the train arriving at the Fetter Springs Station in 1924.
Proposal For A Roadside Attraction at the Site of Fetters Resort
Photos 1930s, 1960s, 2008, 2011 Google Earth.
An attempt to revivify the special “place-ness” of the Springs as it was, and to recall the idiosyncratic nature of a small corner of the planet, using a historic site (Fetters Resort) that was apparently going to waste. Now (2014) it will be developed as mixed use housing and commercial space by Mid Pen Housing.