We left off with Selig Rosenthal’s death in 1938. But the story of Rosenthal’s Resort did not end there.In June of 1939, Dora Rosenthal married Joe Winters, a well-known local tailor.
Joe Winters’ shop was for many years located next to the El Dorado Hotel. The red and white awning of the Raymond Real Estate office would not get past the Sonoma Design Review Commission now!
Winters was very involved with the rodeo in 1939. The rodeo was started in 1929 and ran through the 1950s, on the Millerick Ranch near Schellville.
In 1939, National Geographic amgazine came to Sonoma and photographed the Rodeo “Kangaroo Court,” which included Joe Winters.
Winters was a Polish citizen. He applied for dual citizenship in 1940. R.R. Emapran was one of his witnesses. Emparan was the grandson of General Mariano G. Vallejo.
In that year Harry Lyons was again partnering to run the resort.
In 1941, “the main building of the Winters resort near Boyes Springs, formerly Rosenthal’s hotel, is being remodeled by Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Winters into seven apartments.”
Rental accommodations were in high demand for defense workers at Mare Island. In 1942, the IT reported that many other resorts were being converted for war housing: “Farrell’s, Parente’s, Rosenthal’s, and Maurel Villa used to be popular in the good old summer time, but are now rented to all year round tenants, cottages being especially in demand. Fetters Hot Springs has its share too.”
In 1945 the IT said the Winters had sold their resort and retired to San Francisco. They had actually sold the resort in 1943 to Mrs. Mary Kalivoda, who ran it as Acacia Grove Resort until 1955, when it was sold to A. R. Wilson of El Cerrito.
Here is another example of the serendipity that happens when you search newspaper archives. On the same page as the item about the new Acacia Grove owners is this photo of Charlie Peluffo’s house being moved. Peluffo was the developer of the Plaza Center Building at the old Boyes plaza site. The house stood where shopping center at Verano Avenue is, and was move to a lot on Lomita Avenue. Is it still there?
The building that houses the Thai restaurant now (2016) was originally a store.
Photo from 2008 of the Rosenthal Store building, housing E Sann Thai restaurant.
The building was the home of Lee and Lia Chinese restaurant from 1976 to 1987.
As with the Springs in general, the economic downturn that came with the end of the resort era, brought a certain amount of crime associated with Acacia Grove.
However, positive things were happening also. In 1966 contractro R.A. Lof added a new laundry room and showers.
Jack Weiler bought Acacia Grove in 1971 and his family still owns it in 2017.
Interesting buildings from the Rosenthal days:The chicken coop. Poultry husbandry was common and popular in the Springs in the early 20th Century.
The resort was served by a well. The water was stored in the tank house, which is a residence today.This building was La Salette Restaurant for a few years, but has been vacant a long time. What function did it serve in the heyday of the resort?
The Grange Hall in the 1930s, 2008, and 2012.