Architecture, Boyes Hot Springs, El Verano, Entertainment, History, mid-century, People, Sports

May 28, 1959

This day, sixty one years ago. Eighteen pages in the issue. What happened that day? Things small and large, meaningful and trivial. Presented with just a few comments and notes.


Valley Mourns Oscar Larson-See page 14 for an editorial appreciation of this important figure in mid-twentieth century Boyes Hot Springs.

Incorporation, Bank sought at Boyes –“’A committee to form a committee’” to work for incorporation of Boyes Hot Springs as a full-fledged city, was appointed Tuesday at noon meeting of the Boyes Hot Springs Merchants Association, held at Sonoma Mission Inn.” Zan Stark Jr., Harry Phinney and Milton Greger were appointed to “establish a “citizens committee” to “sell” the incorporation plan in the area.”

Page 21959052800001200-2.pdf

More about Oscar Larson. Dr. Ronald Scott fished in Oregon. Big News! (Oregon keeps coming up in this issue.)

Page 31959052800002200-1.pdf

You could get a permit to burn things.

Page 41959052800003200-1.pdf

“Never used anything like it,” say users of Berlou mothspray, odorless, stainless, and guaranteed to stop moths for five whole years. Simmons Pharmacy, WE 8-2039.

Page 51959052800004200-1.pdf

“Bob Fouts, sportscaster for the San Francisco 49ers and other athletic events of both radio and television, plans to spend the summer in the Valley of the Moon, the Index Tribune learned this week. Fouts, his wife and five children will reside in the Bel Aire development near the Sonoma golf Course, where they will temporarily rent a home during the summer months.” Just a few years later, Dan Fouts would be starring at quarterback for the University of Oregon, which is mentioned page 17.

Page 6


Mary’s opens!

Page 71959052800006200-2.pdf

Merchants meeting continued:

“Help from an outside source in the merchants’ fight to retain the identity of the Boyes Hot Springs Post office came at the meeting when Harry Kay of Santa Rosa, member of the State and County Democratic Central committee pledged his aid.”

Page 81959052800007200-1.pdf

Page 91959052800008200-1.pdf

“The El Verano Improvement club members will meet on June 12 at the clubhouse on Riverside Drive.”

Page 101959052800009200-2.pdf

“Key figures in Valley of the Moon Little League…Gene Morreton, August Sebastiani, J. Bettencourt, C.M. Marsh, Carl Ellason, Betty Thomas, Thelma Ashley, Paul Marcucci Sr., Bud Butts…”

Page 111959052800010200-2.pdf

New Safeway Store to be Discussed By City Planners”, “No Setting Aside of Prunes This Year.

Page 121959052800011200-1.pdf

Page 131959052800012200-2.pdf

Mario Ciampi is recognized in Life Magazine for design of Sassarini Elementary School.

Page 141959052800013200-2.pdf

Oscar Larson remembered. A letter to the editor about Valley Unification.

Page 151959052800014200-1.pdf

Page 161959052800015200-1.pdf

Justin Murray Combo at the Palms Inn!

Page 171959052800016200-1.pdf

“Dr. and Mrs. Michael Mikita of Sobre Vista returned home recently after spending five days in Eugene, Oregon, visiting their son, Michael who is a freshman at the University of Oregon.”

Page 181959052800017200-1.pdf

Index Tribune courtesy of the Sonoma Valley Historical Society


New to the Springs Historic Photo Database

The Northwestern Pacific Railroad published yearly booklets advertising all the resorts along its route. here is a sampling from the 1925 edition. Courtesy of the Sonoma Valley Historical Society. If you would like to use any of these images, please contact them first.




ResortBrochureOakGrove copy

Petaluma Ave. location


NWPRRResortBookletRosenthal1925 copy

Acacia Grove Mobile Court location

NWPRRResortBookletIdeal1925 copy copy

Fetters Ave. at Highway 12

Boyes Hot Springs

18340 Sonoma Highway- the Greengrass Building

Frank Greengrass started out as an insurance salesman. He started working with Realtor Sol Becker in 1953, an event that rated right up there with the arrival of the Green Bay Packers ( though they were the “cellar dwellers of the National Professional Football League!”)


In February of 1956, Frank Greengrass located his real estate firm to the newly remodeled building at 18340 Sonoma Highway. (On the same page the grand re-opening of the Woodleaf Market (, also remodeled, was announced, along with the relocation of attorney Jack Coffey’s practice from San Francisco to Boyes Hot springs, with offices in the Greengrass building.) Note also that the Boyes Bath House had record crowds and that “Mr. and Mrs. Frank Burmis of Sonoma are proud owners of a brand new 1956 seafoam green Cadillac Coupe DeVille…” Times were high in Sonoma Valley!





The 707 area code was introduced in 1959. The building burned in 1979, dating this photo in a twenty year span

The date of construction is unknown, but possibly early 1950s. The original owner is also unknown. Please comment if you have information.

In 1963, part of the space in the building was rented out to Nick’s Barber Shop.


The Greengrass firm, renamed Sonoma Properties, prospered, it’s ads in the IT becoming bigger by the year. However, on May 17, 1979, the building burned to the ground.

Incredibly quickly by today’s standards, one year and one week later, Greengrass, with the help of architect Victor Conforti, Lely Construction, and a host of other tradesmen and suppliers, opened his brand new building at the same address. He invited the public to the opening with a full page ad in the Index Tribune.




The building next door once housed Zan Stark’s Valley of the Moon Daily Review newspaper. See the Zan photo below.


Greengrass had sold the building to Henry Mayo in 1972.



Photo by Zan Stark, circa 1953. See “we’re moving in,” above.


Sonoma Properties continued in business at the Sonoma Highway address until December of 1989. In December of 1990, La Luz opened in it first location in the building.  La Luz moved to their current Gregor Street location in 1993.



In the 1990s, the Index Tribune published news in Spanish.

Frank Greengrass retired in 1992 and died in 1999, aged 83.

The years 1993-2002 remain a mystery unresolvable through the Index Tribune archives. Please help!

Springs Unity Partnership

In 1999 the Springs Unity Partnership (Springs Up) was founded to “help the residents of El Verano, Fetters Hot Springs, Boyes Hot Springs and Agua Caliente improve their communities and gain representation at the county level.”

In 2002 Springs Up established a nonprofit and opened the Springs Resource Center at 18340 Sonoma Highway. The Center hosted meetings, classes, and workshops under executive director Julie Zak. The nonprofit’s board was led by Steve Cox.

According to Ms. Zak, “the effect of 9/11 took its toll on most Sonoma Valley non-profits and the board of Springs Up chose to fold rather than competing for funds that would impact longstanding non-profits in the community. The assets of the non-profit were distributed throughout the community before closing doors in 2004.”

Editorial aside: The original goal of Springs Up, to “help the residents of El Verano, Fetters Hot Springs, Boyes Hot Springs and Agua Caliente improve their communities and gain representation at the county level,” is very much needed today. Would that it could be a model for future action. If so, can we get Julie back? Please?


In 2008 the building housed a party supply store. Note the absence of sidewalks and street lights. The sign in the window next door says “Mobile Automotive Repair and Service.”


By 2012, the Metro PCS store was in place, as it is today (2020) and the building next door was colorfully painted.

18315 Sonoma Hwy - Google Maps.pdf

2017. Tropical paint job next door is gone.


 April 2020

Index Tribune courtesy of the Sonoma Valley Historical Society. Other photos by Google Street View, the author or from the author’s collection.