In 1914, the Sonoma Vista Land Company, Harvey Toy, President, advertised in the San Francisco Examiner for a train excursion to Boyes Hot Springs:
“home sites $195 and up” and…”Boyes Springs mineral water served free on the grounds.”
Sonoma Vista was subdivision on the west side of Sonoma Creek, south of Boyes Blvd.
In January of 1918 the Index Tribune stated that “The bottling works of the now famed Boyes Springs Mineral Water has been put in the charge of Fred J. Hansen, popular musician and poultry man.” (A talented guy, apparently!) And “The management of the mineral water concern is no small matter as $25,000 worth of water was bottled and marketed last season.”
By 1925, the concern was managed by one H. Peterson, according to the IT. “Physician recommend the use of this water as a corrective for stomach and related troubles…Try a case and enthuse more and more over Boyes Springs,” the reporter stated, severely blurring the line between news and advertising.
Baseball players also enjoyed it, according to the Oakland Tribune in 1947:
The bottling plant, as shown on the County Recorder’s map of the Hotel Grounds subdivision, was adjacent to the Bath House near Boyes Blvd.
The building survived and has gone through a number of incarnations.
And inspired some art:
Images courtesy of Sonoma Valley Historical Society, Robert Parmelee, and the author’s collection.