In June of 1945, Bob and Edith Lanning were granted a license to sell alcoholic beverages at their B&E Café in Boyes Hot Springs. By 1949 they had changed the name to The Resort Club.
Bob Lanning was also a photographer. Many of his photos appeared in the pages of the Index Tribune.
Bob was elected to the board of the Valley of the Moon Water district in the 1960s, but his activity on water issues started earlier.
Edith was active in the Sonoma Valley Grange for decades.
In 1965 the Lannings sold the business to Mr. and Mrs. Leonard F. Bruhn. After selling the club, Bob opened Bob’s Fixit Shop in building on the same property.
In 1969, Pete Mancuso took over and opened his Melody Club.
Pete retired in 1983. He sold the club to Doug Graham, but it didn’t last long after that. Lanning Construction moved in in 1984.
“In 1984 Lanning Structures (Dean Lanning) converted the Melody Club into offices a while after Pete closed. Lanning Structures closed in 1996 and Steve Lanning Construction took over the offices. Both metal buildiing contractors, Father and Son.” Winnie Lanning (married to Dean Lanning), 2019, via email.
Dean Lanning died in 2006.
Bob Lanning died in 1995, Edith in 2013.
Lanning Structures, 2001, 2008, and 2009.
After the demolition, 2019.
Index Tribune and Grange photo courtesy of the Sonoma Valley Historical Society. Other photos by author and from author’s collection.